TOWN OF BARRINGTON, RI
TOWN COUNCIL MEETING
BARRINGTON PUBLIC LIBRARY
281 COUNTY ROAD
7:00 pm Monday, July 25, 2022
Agenda and attachments:
TOWN COUNCIL AGENDA
“Aquene (Peace) We recognize the unique and enduring relationship that exists between Indigenous Peoples and their traditional territories. We acknowledge that we are in the ancestral homeland of the Pokanoket Tribe within the original territory of the Pokanoket Nation. We commit to ongoing efforts to recognize, honor, reconcile and partner with the Pokanoket people whose ancestral lands and water we benefit from today. Aquene (Peace)”
• Bayside Pride Festival: Friday, July 29th (4:00pm – 8:00pm) and Saturday, July 30th (1:00 – 5:00pm) Barrington Public Library and Town Hall Grounds. Details on Barrington Public Library website.
• Film Forward: August 26 and 27, 2022 Barrington Public Library and the Town Hall Grounds.
• Last Day to Register to Vote: Sunday, August 14th at the Public Safety Building until 4:00pm. (Only if you have not previously registered.)
• Early Voting: Begins Wednesday, August 24th in Council Chamber (usual business hours). The last day to vote early is Monday, September 12th at 4:00pm.
• Blood Drive: Tuesday, August 30 2:00 – 7:00pm “Pint for Pint” 21+ give a pint and receive a voucher to get a pint of beer at participating breweries. Location: Government Center Parking Lot
• Tree Planting & Removal:
May 1, 2021 – April 30, 2022 – 77 trees removed/79 trees planted
July 1, 2021 – June 30, 2022 – 69 trees removed/80 trees planted
All items with an asterisk (*) are routine by the Town Council and will be enacted by one motion. There will be no separate discussion on these items unless a council member or citizen so request, and the request is for good cause in which event the item will be removed from the consent agenda and will be considered in its normal sequence on the agenda.
Housing Board of Trustees: Shayla Simmons resigned, effective immediately.
Housing Board of Trustees: Pamela Lauria will move from 1st alternate to a full member with a term to expire on January 31, 2025.
Housing Board of Trustees: Thomas Peck moving from 2nd alternate to 1st alternate, with a term expiration date of January 31, 2024.
Housing Board of Trustees: Colby Hansen moving from 3rd alternate to 2nd alternate, with a term expiration date of March 31, 2024.
(May ’22 and June ‘22): Business and Finance Director, Fire Chief, Human Resources, Library Director, Police Chief/Animal Control Official, Public Works Director, Planner/Building and Resiliency, Recreation and Senior Services Director, Tax Assessor and Town Clerk
• BAY Team Monthly Report
• BCWA Monthly Reports
• Outdoor Seating and Lighting: M. Freij
• Stop Sign-Bowden and King Philip: Gina/Michael Ramos
• Cannabis Sales: J. Parcedes/Schultz
• Echo Lake: C. Pikul
• Verizon FIOS: M. Mullen
• Town Beach: R. Malloy
o Resilience and Energy Committee: (1 vacancy: 1st alternate term end date: November 30, 2023): Interview: Mike Smith
To the public: This agenda item is for members of the public to speak regarding a topic that is not already on the agenda. Please indicate that you would like to speak by raising your hand. When you are recognized, please state your name and residency for the record.
to Obtain a More Environmentally Friendly Option (referral to Town Manager, Town Solicitor and Resilience and Energy) (J. Brier)
Requests the Town Council Recognize Juneteenth as a Town Holiday (B. Medlin)
• Amending Chapter A225: Map Fee
• BAY Team:
o RFQ – Project Director Contract
• Department of Public Works:
o Bay Spring Community Center – Vinyl Cedar Impressions Siding Project
o Town Hall Painting
o Chevy Bolt EUV for Building Official/Town Hall use, to include a trade-in of 2012 Ford Focus
o 2022 Chevrolet Pick-up Truck w/4WD (Town will provide plow for snow removal.)
• Planning Department:
o Proposal for Engineering Services: South Lake Drive Shared Use Path
o Wayfinding Signage: Authorize Grant Award Wayfinding Signage to ViewPoint Sign and Awning
o Archaeology: Authorize Contract with PAST Inc.
2022-13 An Ordinance Amendment to Chapter 144 Public Lands, Use of §144-15 Town Hall Business Hours
2022-16 An Ordinance Amendment to Chapter 179 Vehicles and Traffic, §179-3 Stop Intersections Designated
2022-17 An Ordinance to Adopt Chapter 80, Cannabis (J. Brier)
• PUBLIC HEARING:
2022-14 An Ordinance Amendment to Chapter 45 Salaries and Compensation for non-union employees
2022-15 Renewal of Declaration of Emergency
• Discuss and Act: Invasive Species Control at Echo Lake Continued from June 6, 2022 (Ned Barton)
• Discuss and Act: Evaluating the Financial Town Meeting (J. Brier)
• Presentation: New Website
• Presentation: Complete Streets Plan
• Discuss and Act: OSHEAN (K. Raposa)
• Bike to Beach: September 17, 2022
• Discuss: Resolutions: Business Registration: Support RIGL 45-2-31.6 (October)
• Sunday, October 2, 2022 RI Slave History Medallion Installation Ceremony at the Barrington Public Library with a reception to follow in Collis Gallery (A time to be determined.)
The Town of Barrington will provide accommodations needed to ensure equal participation in all meetings. Please contact the Town Clerk’s office prior to the meeting so arrangements can be made to provide such assistance. A request for accommodations can be made in writing to 283 County Road or by calling 401-247-1900, Ext. 301. Hearing impaired callers can dial 711 “Relay” for additional assistance. The Barrington Town Hall, Barrington Public Library and Barrington Public Safety Building are accessible to the disabled. Posted on July 21, 2022 at Barrington Town Hall, Barrington Public Library, Barrington Web Site and Secretary of State Web Site.