TOWN OF BARRINGTON, RI
TOWN COUNCIL MEETING
BARRINGTON MIDDLE SCHOOL
261 MIDDLE HIGHWAY
7:00 pm Monday, September 12, 2022
US: +1 929 205 6099 or +1 301 715 8592 or +1 309 205 3325
810 0631 4201
Agenda and attachments:
TOWN COUNCIL AGENDA
“Aquene (Peace) We recognize the unique and enduring relationship that exists between Indigenous Peoples and their traditional territories. We acknowledge that we are in the ancestral homeland of the Pokanoket Tribe within the original territory of the Pokanoket Nation. We commit to ongoing efforts to recognize, honor, reconcile and partner with the Pokanoket people whose ancestral lands and water we benefit from today. Aquene (Peace)”
• Covid Flag Memorial: Has been placed in the front of Town Hall to remember those that died during the COVID-19 pandemic.
• Tuesday, September 13, 2022: Primary Election Day. All polls are open 7:00am-8:00pm.
• September 17, 2022: Bike to Beach Inc.: Noon – 5:00pm. Town roads and East Bay Bike Path.
• Sunday, October 2, 2022: RI Slave History Medallion Installation Ceremony at the Barrington Public Library with a reception to follow in Collis Gallery at 2:00pm.
• Saturday, October 1, 2022: Astronomy Day: Pete Peterson and the Recreation Department starting at 1:00pm on the Town Hall lawn.
• Volunteers Needed: Barrington Day of Caring on Monday, October 10, 2022 Noon – 4:00pm.
• Saturday, October 15, 2022: Harvest Festival: Sponsored by the Recreation Department 1-3:30pm Town Hall Campus.
• Tree Planting & Removal:
August 1, 2021- July 30, 2022 – 70 trees removed/89 trees planted
All items with an asterisk (*) are routine by the Town Council and will be enacted by one motion. There will be no separate discussion on these items unless a council member or citizen so request, and the request is for good cause in which event the item will be removed from the consent agenda and will be considered in its normal sequence on the agenda.
• Board of Canvassers: Shirley Applegate-Lockridge effective September 14, 2022.
• Committee on Appropriations: Steven J. DeLuca effective immediately.
• Harbor Commission: Dwight McMillan effective September 30, 2022.
• Housing Board of Trustees: Roni Phipps
• Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Commission:
o A. Larry Berren to be reappointed as a full member, with a term expiration date of September 30, 2025
o Jennifer Castel to be reappointed as a full member, with a term expiration date of September 30, 2025
o Rebecca Taub to be reappointed as a full member, with a term expiration date of September 30, 2025
• Housing Board of Trustees:
o Colby Hansen (moving from 2nd alternate to 1st alternate), to be appointed as a 1st alternate, with a term expiration date of January 31, 2024
o Thomas Peck (moving from 1st alternate to full member), to be appointed as a full member, with a term expiration date of September 30, 2025
Business and Finance Director, Fire Chief, Human Resources, Library Director, Police Chief/Animal Control Official, Public Works Director, Planner/Building and Resiliency, Recreation and Senior Services Director, Tax Assessor (no report) and Town Clerk
• BAY Team Monthly Report
• BCWA Monthly Reports (August/September)
• Hazard Mitigation & Flood Management Plan 2022: R. Coyne
o Economic Development Commission: (1 vacancy: 1 full member with a term end date: September 30, 2024): Interview: Thomas Cregan
o Planning Board: (2 vacancies: 1st and 2nd alternates with terms to end: May 31, 2024) Interview: Christopher Spiegel
To the public: This agenda item is for members of the public to speak regarding a topic that is not already on the agenda. Please indicate that you would like to speak by raising your hand. When you are recognized, please state your name and residency for the record.
• Non-Emergency Statewide Mutual Aid Agreement (M. Correia)
• Fire Department:
o ARPA Funding: 800MhZ Radios and SIGCOM Consoles
• Police Department:
o HVAC Improvements at the Public Safety Building
o Purchase of 2023 Ford Hybrid Explorer
• Town Hall:
o Replacement of Boilers: $89,500, RISE Engineering, plus an additional 10% contingency in the amount of $8,950
2022-19 Chapter 33 Personnel Policies §33-23 Holidays New: Juneteenth (M. Carroll)
2022-20 Chapter – Zoning Ordinance Amendments Prohibiting New Gas Stations (M. Carroll)
2022-21 Chapter 33 Personnel Policies §33-23 Holidays (Name Change) (J. Brier)
2022-22 Chapter 33 Personnel Policies Article V Attendance and Leave §33-29 Annual Leave (Evening Meetings)
2022-23 Chapter 185 Zoning; Article XVIL Signs (C. Kustell)
• PUBLIC HEARING:
2022-13 An Ordinance Amendment to Chapter 144 Public Lands, Use of §144-15 Town Hall Business Hours
2022-16 An Ordinance Amendment to Chapter 179 Vehicles and Traffic, §179-3 Stop Intersections Designated
2022-18 Renewal of Declaration of Emergency
• Discuss and Act: Invasive Species Control at Echo Lake Continued from June 6, 2022 (Ned Barton)
• Discuss and Act: Resolutions: Business Registration: Support RIGL 45-2-31.6
• Public Hearing: 2022-17 An Ordinance to Add Chapter 80, Cannabis (October 3, 2022) (J. Brier)
• Public Hearing: 2022-19 An Ordinance Amendment to Chapter 33 Personnel Policies §33-23 Holidays New: Juneteenth (M. Carroll)
• Public Hearing: 2022-20 Chapter – Zoning Ordinance Amendments Prohibiting New Gas Stations
• Public Hearing: 2022-21 Chapter 33 Personnel Policies §33-23 Holidays (Name Change) (J. Brier)
• Public Hearing: 2022-22 Chapter 33 Personnel Policies Article V Attendance and Leave §33-29 Annual Leave – Evening Meetings
• Public Hearing: 2022-23 Chapter 185 Zoning; Article XVIL Signs (C. Kustell)
• Juneteenth Resolution and Legislation (October)
• Barrington Christian Academy – 5K Road Race (October 15th)
• Discuss and Act: OSHEAN (fiber optic) (October) (K. Raposa)
• Presentation: New Town Website (October)
• BAY Team Presentation (November)
The Town of Barrington will provide accommodations needed to ensure equal participation in all meetings. Please contact the Town Clerk’s office prior to the meeting so arrangements can be made to provide such assistance. A request for accommodations can be made in writing to 283 County Road or by calling 401-247-1900, Ext. 301. Hearing impaired callers can dial 711 “Relay” for additional assistance. The Barrington Town Hall, Barrington Public Library and Barrington Public Safety Building are accessible to the disabled. Posted on September 8, 2022 at Barrington Town Hall, Barrington Public Library, Barrington Web Site and Secretary of State Web Site.