A MEETING OF THE TOWN COUNCIL
OF THE TOWN OF BARRINGTON, RI
TOWN COUNCIL MEETING
BARRINGTON TOWN HALL
283 County Road, Barrington, RI
7:00 pm Monday, January 9, 2023
Agenda and attachments: https://clerkshq.com/barrington-ri
TOWN COUNCIL MEETING
“Aquene (Peace) We recognize the unique and enduring relationship that exists between Indigenous Peoples and their traditional territories. We acknowledge that we are in the ancestral homeland of the Pokanoket Trike within the original territory of the Pokanoket Nation. We commit to ongoing efforts to recognize, honor, reconcile and partner with the Pokanoket people whose ancestral lands and water we benefit from today. Aquene (Peace)”
· Honoring: Department of Public Works Foreman Michael Sousa with 35 years of service.
· Town Hall Hours: With the enactment of Ordinance 2022-13: Monday 8:30am – 7:00pm, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday 8:30am – 4:30pm and Friday 8:30am – Noon
· Tuesday, January 24, 2023 9:45am – 4:30pm: Aging Optimally Symposium: Sponsored by the Peck Center for Adult Education, Barrington Library and Shaw’s. A Keynote Speaker on Brain Resilience, bagged lunch, twenty vendors, 3 mini talks and a closing performance by Joann Lurgio, Folk Guitarist. Registration Peckcenter.org.
· Monday, February 13, 2023: Members of the Town Council and Boards and Commissions will attend an Ethics Commission Training via Zoom at 6:30pm
· Tree Planting & Removal:
§ December 1, 2021 – November 30, 2022 – 65 trees removed/110 trees planted
All items with an asterisk (*) are routine by the Town Council and will be enacted by one motion. There will be no separate discussion on these items unless a council member or citizen so request, and the request is for good cause in which event the item will be removed from the consent agenda and will be considered in its normal sequence on the agenda.
· Board of Library Trustees: Laura Young effective immediately.
· Building Board of Review: Thomas Billups effective immediately.
· Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee: Braxton Medlin effective immediately.
· Housing Board of Trustees: John Fitta effective January 31, 2023.
· Planning Board: Kathleen Berard effective immediately.
· Zoning Board: Michelle Turgeon effective immediately.
· Board of Library Trustees: To reappoint Esme Devault as full members for a term to expire December 31, 2025.
· Building Board of Review: To reappoint Michael O’Connell as a full member for a term to expire November 30, 2027.
· Conservation Commission: To reappoint Doug Materne, Ted Myatt and Eileen Small as full members for a term to expire December 31, 2025.
· Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee: To reappoint David Mehl from 2nd alternate to a full member with a term to expire September 30, 2024.
· Harbor Commission: To reappoint Anne Chapin, James Forster and Doug Moshier as full members for a term to expire December 31, 2025.
· Housing Board of Trustees: To reappoint Colby Hansen from 1st alternate to a full member with a term to expire September 30, 2025.
· Park & Recreation Committee: To reappoint Patricia Driscoll and TR Rimoshytus as a full member for a term to expire December 31, 2025.
· Zoning Board: To reappoint Doug Caito as a full member for a term to expire December 31, 2027.
Business and Finance Director, Fire Chief, Human Resources, Library Director, Police Chief/Animal Control Official, Public Works Director, Planner/Building and Resiliency, Recreation and Senior Services Director, Tax Assessor and Town Clerk
· BAY Team Monthly Report
· BCWA Monthly Reports
· A. Klepper’s Parting Poetic Words BCWA
· Board of Canvassers: (1 vacancy: alternate Republican with a term expiration of March 31, 2028)
· Bristol County Water Authority: (1 vacancy: 1 full member with a term expiration of February 28, 2023)
· Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee: (2 vacancies: 1st and 2nd alternates with a term expiration September 30, 2023.)
o Interview: Alexandra Pastor
· Harbor Commission : (1 vacancy: 1 full member) with a term expiration date of December 31, 2025)
o Interview: Raymond G. Clark
· Juvenile Hearing Board: (1 vacancy: 1 full member with a term expiration date of November 30, 2023.)
· Resilience and Energy Committee: (1 vacancies: 1st alternate with an expiration date of November 30, 2023)
· Planning Board: (3 vacancies: 1 full member (expiration date May 31, 2024) 1st and 2nd alternates with an expiration date of May 31, 2023)
v 2023-1 Chapter 45 Salaries and Compensation; §45-10 Overtime for salaried employees
· PUBLIC HEARING:
v 2022-23 Chapter 185 Zoning; Article XVIL Signs
v 2022-27 An Ordinance Amendment to Chapter 63 Alcoholic Beverages Article III 63-8 License class, number, and fee
v 2023-2 Renewal of Declaration of Emergency
· Discuss and Act: Goal Setting Retreat with a Facilitator for Town Council
· Discuss and Act: OSHEAN (Fibre Optic) (K. Raposa)
To the public: This agenda item is for members of the public to speak regarding a topic that is not already on the agenda. Please indicate that you would like to speak by raising your hand. When you are recognized, please state your name and residency for the record.
(This meeting will be opened in open session and will then be held in closed session via password for the members of the Town Council.)
· Discuss Executive Session minutes from March 7, 2022 for placement on the February 6, 2023 Town Council meeting agenda.
The Town of Barrington will provide accommodations needed to ensure equal participation in all meetings. Please contact the Town Clerk’s office prior to the meeting so arrangements can be made to provide such assistance. A request for accommodations can be made in writing to 283 County Road or by calling 401-247-1900, Ext. 301. Hearing impaired callers can dial 711 “Relay” for additional assistance. The Barrington Town Hall, Barrington Public Library and Barrington Public Safety Building are accessible to the disabled. Posted on January 5, 2023 at Barrington Town Hall, Barrington Public Library, Barrington Web Site and Secretary of State Web Site.