Barrington Middle School
Presentation Room 1402
261 Middle Highway, Barrington, RI
TOWN COUNCIL AGENDA
Monday, November 6, 2023, at 6:30pm
To see attachments: https://clerkshq.com/barrington-ri
· 42-46-5 (a) (2) Collective Bargaining: United Steelworkers, AFL-CIO-CLC, Local 14845
A MEETING OF THE TOWN COUNCIL SITTING IN ITS CAPACITY AS
TRUSTEES OF THE AMEY TUCKER SPENCER FUND
FOLLOWED BY A MEETING OF THE TOWN COUNCIL
“Aquene (Peace) We recognize the unique and enduring relationship that exists between Indigenous Peoples and their traditional territories. We acknowledge that we are in the ancestral homeland of the Pokanoket Tribe within the original territory of the Pokanoket Nation. We commit to ongoing efforts to recognize, honor, reconcile and partner with the Pokanoket people whose ancestral lands and water we benefit from today. Aquene (Peace)”
· November 7, 2023, Special Election: Combined Polls at Barrington High School (101 and 106), Barrington Middle School (102 and 103) and Hampden Meadows (104 and 105 7:00am – 8:00pm. Schools closed
· November 10, 2023, Veteran’s Day: : Town Hall, Peck Center, and DPW are closed. Refuse and recycling will be on your normal collection day. The Barrington Public Library is closed Friday, November 10th and Saturday, November 11th. Barrington Public Schools are closed Monday, November 13, 2023.
· Sunday November 12th at 1:00pm and Wednesday, November 16th at 6:30pm: DEI Film Screening and Discussion: “Be Water” a documentary about the life of the legendary Bruce Lee at the Barrington Public Library -registration recommended.
· November 23-24, 2023, Thanksgiving Holiday: Town Hall, Peck Center, DPW and Schools are closed. Refuse and recycling normal collection day is moved to the next day for the week. Barrington Public Library is closed Wednesday, November 22nd at 12:30pm, Thursday, November 23rd and Friday, November 24th.
· Friday, November 24th: Day after Thanksgiving Walk at Johannis Farm Wildlife Preserve 11:00am.
· December 2, 2023, Barrington Tree Lighting: Children’s activities from 2:00pm – 5:00pm. Santa arrives at 3:45pm.
· Tree Planting & Removal: October 1, 2022- September 30, 2023– 99 trees removed/ 100 trees planted.
DISCUSS AND ACT ON THE CONSENT AGENDA: (TM)
All items with an asterisk (*) are routine by the Town Council and will be enacted by one motion. There will be no separate discussion on these items unless a council member or citizen so request, and the request is for good cause in which event the item will be removed from the consent agenda and will be considered in its normal sequence on the agenda.
· Harbor Commission: Vanessa Anderson
· Park & Recreation Committee: Patricia Driscoll
· Resilience and Energy Committee: Eric Wiesner
· Cemetery Committee:
o Suzanne Cherau reappointed with a term expiration date of November 30, 2026.
o Erika Farrell reappointed with a term expiration date of November 30, 2026.
· Park & Recreation Committee:
· Joseph Merrill reappointed from 1st alternate to full member with a term expiration date of December 31, 2025.
· Resilience & Energy Committee:
· Hans Scholl reappointed with a term expiration date of November 30, 2026.
· Jack Anderson with a term expiration date of November 30, 2026.
· Carrie Newton reappointed with a term expiration date of November 30, 2026
· Maria Crosby reappointed with a term expiration date of November 30, 2026.
Business and Finance Director, Fire Chief, Human Resources, Library Director, Police Chief/Animal Control Official, Public Works Director, Planner/Building and Resiliency, Recreation and Senior Services Director, Tax Assessor and Town Clerk
St. Luke’s School, 24th Annual Trot off your Turkey Road Race (5K and 1.5 miles races) on November 25, 2023, from 9:30am – 11:30am 10 Waldron Avenue, Barrington, RI
· Building Board of Review: (1 vacancy: 1 full member with a term expiration date of December 31, 2024.)
· Interview: Spencer Alexander
· Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee: (2 vacancies: 1st and 2nd alternates with a term expiration date of September 30, 2026.)
· Planning Board: (1 vacancy: 2nd alternate with a term expiration date of May 31, 2024.)
· Interview: John Mueller
· 2023-11 An Ordinance Amendment to Chapter 33 Personnel Policies; Article V Attendance and Leave; §33-34 Military duty leave
· 2023-12 An Ordinance Amendment to Chapter 185 Zoning
· PUBLIC HEARING:
· 2023-9 An Amendment to an Ordinance Chapter 63 Alcoholic Beverages; 63-12 License Renewals
· 2023-10 An Amendment to an Ordinance Chapter 179-9 No Parking (Prospect and Lincoln)
· One (1) Tandem Axle Cab & Chassis with Roll Off Hoist & Automatic Covering Assembly
· One (1) Asphalt Hot Box Trailer
· One (1) All Season’s Dump Body
· Three (3) 16,500 GVW Dump Trucks with Plows
· One (1) Commercial Front Mower
Class A Retail
· Grapes & Grains, Inc. d/b/a Grapes & Grains, Inc., 24 Bosworth Street
· Brickyard Wine & Spirits LLC d/b/a Brickyard Wine & Spirits LLC, 250 County Road
Class D Full
· American Legion Post #8, Inc. d/b/a American Legion Post #8, Inc., 2 Legion Way
· Barrington Democratic Club d/b/a Barrington Democratic Club, 186 Roffee Street
· Barrington Yacht Club d/b/a Barrington Yacht Club, 25 Barton Avenue
· Rhode Island Country Club d/b/a Rhode Island Country Club, 150 Nayatt Road
Class BV Full
· Tyler Point Inc. d/b/a Bluewater Bar and Grill, 32 Barton Avenue
· Stock Food Group, Inc. d/b/a East Bay Oyster Bar, 308 County Road
· Oxford Tavern Inc., d/b/a Oxford Tavern, 286 Maple Avenue
· Kee-Aree LLC d/b/a Tong-D, 156 (Rear) County Road
· New Sushi Express, Inc. d/b/a Miku Japanese Cuisine, 306 County Road
· DPP LLC, d/b/a Viola, 296 County Road
Class BVL Limited
· Pepperoni’s LLC d/b/a Piezoni’s Pizza, 222 County Road
· Leon’s Kitchenworx LLC d/b/a Leon’s Café and Catering, 230 Waseca Avenue
· J & A Restaurant Enterprises Ltd. d/b/a Nacho Mamma’s,18 Maple Avenue, Unit 3
· Spaghetti Lane, LLC d/b/a Spaghetti Lane, 8 Anoka Avenue
· Sowams A. M. Inc. d/b/a Prince Ali’s Kebab, 305 Sowams Road
All-electric Town Buildings and Schools, “Actions to Mitigate Noise Pollution for Health and Wellness of Barrington” (M. Thorsson)
To the public: This agenda item is for members of the public to speak regarding a topic that is not already on the agenda. Please indicate that you would like to speak by raising your hand. When you are recognized, please state your name and residency for the record.
· Public Hearing 2023-11 Ordinance Military Duty Leave
· Public Hearing 2023-12 Public Hearing: 2023-12 Ch 185 Zoning Ordinance
· Resolution: A225 regarding zoning fees
· A-Frame Signs
· Banner Program
· Discuss and Act: 25 Watson Avenue/Carmelite Monastery
· Community Engagement – Town Council Goal Setting
· Cub Scouts Pack 1 to lead us in the Pledge of Allegiance
· Property Tax Relief for Longtime Barrington Taxpayers (A. Klepper) (January 8, 2024)
The Town of Barrington will provide accommodation needed to ensure equal participation in all meetings. Please contact the Town Clerk’s office (401-247-1900, x1) 48 hours prior to the meeting so arrangements can be made to provide such assistance. Hearing impaired callers can dial RI Relay 1-800-745-5555 (TTY) for additional assistance. The Barrington Town Hall, Barrington Public Library, Barrington Middle School, and Barrington Public Safety Building are accessible to the disabled. Posted on November 2, 2023, at Barrington Town Hall, Barrington Public Library, Town of Barrington Web Site and Secretary of State Web Site.